Thursday, January 17, 2008

GFCFSF Animal Crackers


Okay, so I don't have animal-shaped coookie cutters, but I did use an "animal cracker" mix, so....just bear with me on this one!

IF YOU ARE NOT A BAKER, PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE YET! I AM NOT A BAKER EITHER AND WAS ABLE TO MAKE THESE YUMMY THINGS VERY EASILY!!!

What I Used
To make these gluten-free, casein-free, soy-free (GFCF/GFCFSF) cookies/crackers, I used the Miss Robens mock animal cracker mix found online at Allergy Grocer. The mix couldn't be easier. You just mix together some Spectrum shortening and some gluten-free vanilla along with the dry mix in the bag and a bit of water. Then you form the dough into a ball and refrigerate it for at least an hour (I made my mix in about 5 minutes before I started dinner then refrigerated it and made the cookies that night once the kids were asleep.)

What I Did
Once you're ready, you just put some GF flour on the kitchen table (or kitchen counter or wherever you're doing this) -- I used Bob's Red Mill flour and it worked great. Put some flour on your hands and your rolling pin, too.

Then just roll it out from the center to the edges. Add flour to the rolling pin if it starts to stick. Then just go to town with your cookie cutters! I have these great cookie cutters available on Amazon for about $5 that I like because they have different sizes of the same shapes (hearts, stars, flowers), so you can make a variety of shapes and sizes.

I made some bigger ones with some other cookie cutters I got for Christmas (see above), and I can send those to school as a dessert at lunchtime. But my favorite are the little tiny ones because they come out cute and crunchy like animal crackers, and I think they make a great snack (see link below for the cookie cutters I got).

How Long It Took
They bake up in about 15 minutes. While you've got some in the oven, you can cut out the others. (It's just like playing with Play-Doh -- you collect the left-over dough, roll it out again, cut out more cookies, and then just keep doing it over and over again until your dough is gone.) It took me an hour and 15 minutes to roll out the dough, cut out the cookies, bake them, AND clean everything up.

My kids loved these! I will be making these again for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently tried this mix, too, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. We didn't have any real small cookie cutters, so once baked they looked like they should be a soft cookie. But, then you bite into them and they CRUNCH -- just like "regular" animal crackers -- and they taste really good too! We'll definitely order this one again! My daughter (age 5) loves them, and enjoyed helping make them.

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.