Thursday, January 3, 2008

Nohutlu Pilav (Turkish Rice with Chick Peas)



My Turkish-born husband makes this to add a little protein to rice, and the kids eat it up. I thought I'd post it in case anybody is looking for something different to do with their rice. This is gluten-free, casein-free, soy-free, and egg-free (GFCFSFEF).

All you do is add 1 can of drained garbanzo beans (AKA chick peas) to your rice once you turn your rice down to low.

And for those of you who aren't rice-savvy (it's very easy to make rice, but there's a first time for everybody!), here are the step-by-step directions:

Put 4 cups of water into a pot on high heat. Add some salt to taste (we like ours pretty salty to make up for the butter we no longer use!). Once the water boils, add 2 cups of rice. Stir a couple of times. Once the water boils again, turn the heat to low and cover. Once the boiling subsides and the rice is just sitting there soaking up the water on low, add in your garbanzo beans on top. Don't stir. Re-cover the pot. Cook on low for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed (stick a spoon or fork down the side of the pan and lift up a bit to see if the bottom rice is still wet or if it has absorbed the water).

That's it! For less rice, use 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice.

No comments:

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.