Monday, March 24, 2008

Tings: Cross-Contamination Issues


My kids love Tings, but it seemed like they loved them a bit *too* much...so I asked the company about their cross-contamination issues. Here's the response I got on 3/24/08:

In answer to your question about dairy, soy and gluten we do not have dedicated dairy, gluten and soy free lines. All the snacks are run on shared equipment. The Tings are run on shared equipment that does manufacture other snacks that contain all three allergens. The manufacturing facility does follow an allergen sensitivity program meaning that with an item such as the Tings which are dairy free - the Tings would be run before any dairy snacks or gluten snacks. They would then follow with the other snacks that contain those allergens. Before every production run the machines are thoroughly cleaned. While every precaution is taken to avoid a case off cross contamination we cannot 100% guaruntee that it could never happen. I hope that I have addressed your concerns.
- Kelly

Based on this information, I think I will stop buying them at least for a while. Their allergen sensitivity program may be sufficient for many kids, but my son seems to be sensitive to cross-contamination on shared lines.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Good to know I'm not crazy! I noticed that my son loves Tings a bit too much as well, and I definitely noticed some particular behaviors when he ate them. I stopped buying them. Thank you for being so proactive!

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.