Sunday, May 4, 2008

Pear Sauce (GFCFSF)





I've started making a batch of this every weekend and giving it to the kids in their lunchboxes. This is truly easy and consists of nothing but pears.

Ingredients:
5 or so pears (get soft ones)
A bit of pear juice (or water works too)
Cinnamon (optional)

Directions:
Peel pears. Put them in a pan with some pear juice on the bottom. Cover and cook over medium-high heat. When the pears are really soft (you can easily pierce all the way through with a fork), take them off the heat. Put pears into a bowl and mash them with a potato masher. Once you start the mashing, you'll find the seeds/stringy core. Remove these. You can add some cinnamon at the end if you want, but it's yummy without it too.

Serving/Use:
Pear sauce is good by itself. Or you can mix with applesauce if your kid is really into applesauce and you're try to reduce the apples/sugars/phenols. You can also use pear sauce in place of applesauce in recipes like muffins.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What type of pears do you use...aren't there different varieties of pears? Are some easier to use than others or some tastier than others?

Tori said...

Hello! I've used different types of pears, and unfortunately I don't know the names. I'll have to pay better attention the next time I shop. I have found that the taste is always great. But the green, shorter, fatter ones are easier to use than the reddish, longer, skinniner ones because those seem to have more "strings" in the middle (which my son doesn't like). The short fat green ones only have a small little pit of seeds with no strings, so it also makes it easier to get the seeds/pits out when you start mashing.

If you find that you don't get the taste you want, you could add a little agave nectar to sweeten it up. I add some cinnamon sometimes too. But usually I don't need the agave, and my daughter ALWAYS thinks I added sugar to it because it's soooooo sweet. But naturally so!

Hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by!

~M said...

I make my applesauce in the crockpot and don't need to add any water...I'm betting you could easily make pearsauce in the crockpot without any added liquid. I find that the lack of liquid results in an "more appley" flavored applesauce and it means that there is no super-hot liquid to deal with :) Raw applesauce is awesome too!

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.