Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cheapo Meal #2: Vermicelli Mashup


I whipped this one up out of thin air tonight after we got home from Vision Therapy and I realized I had nothing ready to feed the kids. (Ugh, I hate that moment of despair!) Granted, this is not rocket science to cook up some pasta and throw in some meat & veggies, but just in case you are caught in the same icky moment some time soon, maybe this will help inspire you...(And, by the way, this pasta only takes FIVE minutes to cook once your water has boiled *AND* it is cheapo!)

Ingredients
Ener-G Vermicelli (I used 1/2 pkg.)
1 pkg. Wellshire Farms turkey ham steak, cubed small
Small amount of frozen mixed veggies
Coconut oil (unrefined)
Olive oil (a small drizzle)
Garlic powder
Salt

Directions
Boil water & 1 Tbsp. salt in a pasta-sized pot. Drop in the vermicelli
and separate with a fork/spoon. Set your timer for 5 minutes. Put veggies in with the pasta or (if your child doesn't like stuff mixed into his/her pasta), heat it up separately. Heat up the cubed turkey steak (optional). When pasta is ready (5 minutes, I swear!), drain it and rinse it off with warm water. Put it back into the pot and drizzle a bit of olive oil on it. Now scoop in some coconut oil (just a couple of fork-fulls is fine) and throw in some more salt + the garlic powder. Mix it up and then I like to cut the pasta into smaller pieces with fork & knife (to help kids with the eating process). Toss in the turkey & veggies (or leave separate if child needs it that way).

Serving
I served this with some bread by Breads from Anna with some jelly spread on top.

Notes
The kids loved this (I was anticipating disgust)! They both got seconds and possibly even thirds. The 1/2 pkg. of vermicelli made enough for me to have 1 smallish serving of this and for the kids to have 2 or 3 smallish servings. (Hubbie was on travel.) My son, who normally HATES to have things mixed into his pasta, actually asked halfway through if he could dump his turkey ham steak (which was in a separate bowl) into his pasta! Wow!

No comments:

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.