Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tomato-Free Tomato Paste (Red Pepper Paste)



We use a lot of tomato paste in our recipes, especially our Turkish recipes. But when tomatoes came back as a "no-no" on my son's IgG test, I freaked! How can we cook without tomato paste? Here is what I did, and it has worked awesome for us. I call this "tomato-free tomato paste!" Please note that this does not taste like ketchup or anything; that is not the point. The point is that you can use this in your tomato recipes (Turkish recipes here, chili, beef stew) and nobody will notice. (Spaghetti dinner might be a different matter.)


Ingredients
4 organic red peppers
10 slices of beets (I used canned but I know this is not ideal)
1-2 tsp. sugar (optional)

Directions
Pierce red peppers about 4 times each with a fork. Place them lying down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (makes it easier to clean up). Bake in an oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours. When done, use a knife and fork to open them up, remove the seed pod, and scrape away any other seeds. (At this point if you have tons of time you can remove skins of peppers too but I haven't done that yet.) Put them in a blender with the beet slices and sugar. Blend well till consistency is uniform. At this point, if you want, you can strain it out using a mesh strainer to get rid of some of the extra water, but you don't have to. Pour it into a glass container. This lasts me about 2 weeks.

Notes
One can of beets has enough for three batches of this stuff, so after you take out your 10 slices, divide the rest up and freeze for later use.

Pictures of Steps Below:








1 comment:

Penny said...

Tomatoes and peppers are both in the same food family (nightshades) with eggplant and potatoes. Sometimes people who are allergic to one food in a family will be sensitive to other foods in the same food family.

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.