Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Saturday Chicken



I have no idea why this is called "Saturday Chicken," but this recipe has been in my family at least since I was little...not sure where my mom got it. I always think it's called "Saturday Chicken" because it takes an hour and a half to cook, and who has time for that during the week??? The original recipe uses cream and cream of mushroom soup, so I have converted it to be gluten-free, casein-free (GFCF), and soy-free (GFCFSF).

Ingredients:
Skinless, boneless chicken (as many pieces as you will eat; we prefer thighs)
1 portion GFCFSF cream of mushroom soup (click HERE for recipe)
1 cup Mimicreme cream substitute (available on Allergy Grocer)
Salt
Garlic Powder
Olive oil

Directions:
Coat bottom of a glass baking dish with olive oil. Put chicken pieces in dish. Sprinkle salt and garlic powder on top of chicken. Make your GFCFSF cream of mushroom soup (recipe HERE) -- don't worry, this doesn't take long at all. Mix 1 cup of Mimicreme in with the cream of mushroom soup. Pour soup mixture on top of chicken. Sprinkle something green on top (parsley or dill works). Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 1 and 1/2 hours.

Notes:
This tastes good with baked or mashed potatoes because you can put some of the sauce on top of them like a gravy. Add a green salad for some color, and you're good to go. Happy Saturday! (or whatever day of the week it is!) This can be made the night before and then heated up quickly for a weeknight dinner.

No comments:

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.