Monday, May 26, 2008

Teff Carrot Mini Muffins


This was my first attempt at using teff, a gluten-free (GF) grain used in the Ethiopian highlands that is high in dietary fiber and iron. I based this on the other carrot muffin recipe I use (click HERE), but I made it with a lot less sugar (we're constantly battling yeast here). I made them as mini muffins, the theory being that my sensory son might be more apt to eat a smaller muffin than a full-sized one. I thought they turned out great, and my son agreed! He had these for snacktime at pre-school. I also served them for breakfast.

Ingredients
4 oz. jar carrot baby food (organic is best)
1/3 cup unrefined coconut oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1 extra large egg
1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Teff Flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground clove
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Directions
Mix carrots, oil, sugar, and egg in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a bit at a time and mix. Fill mini muffin panand bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Notes
This makes 24 mini muffins. Double the recipe for regular-sized muffins.

No comments:

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.