Sunday, February 15, 2009

GFCFSF Fish n' Chips



This is not really cheap, nor is it really healthy. In fact, I questioned whether or not I should even put it up here because, well, it's so embarrassing. But I figured there would be SOMEBODY out there (okay, maybe a few of you) who might feel relieved to know that they can do the GFCF diet without being a gourmet chef, without spending hours in the kitchen, and without being particularly HEALTHY every single night of your life.


Enter....the "fish n' chips night" at our house. I'll admit, we do this about once every other week (often with the other week being "hot dogs and fries" using the exact same type of fries as we have here). And the night that I choose to be so NAUGHTY is usually the night my daughter has Vision Therapy, because I always seem to forget to cook something beforehand.

Okay, again, I'm really embarrassed, but here goes...

Ingredients
1/2 to 1 package of Whole Foods GF cod or haddock
1/2 to 1 package of Ian's Alphatots
Some ketchup, squeezed into little bowls (I use Muir Glen organic)

Directions
Spread the fish and chips on a baking sheet. Cook in the oven per package directions.

Serving
Dip the stuff into ketchup. (I guess I should mention this meal is a big hit with the kids.)

Veggies?
Oh, so you are waiting for me to tell you which nutrition-packed veggie side dish I serve with this? Well, then you missed it. The veggie for this meal is the ketchup in the little bowl. Don't laugh. It's the gosh darn truth. I am THAT terrible of a mom. I do try to save myself, though, with some fruit for dessert.

Educational Component
That's right! This meal has an educational component to it! I made up a rule that my kids have to say the name of the letter of their fry, say the sound it makes, then say a word that starts with that letter. This was truly a thrill for them...so much so that they now play this game without prompting.

Pssst, by the way, I did some math and realized I save $10 when I buy this ketchup in bulk on Amazon.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I see nothing wrong w/ it! There's a time and place for super healthy and there's a time and place for fun kid food! It's all about moderation, and I think it's just fine...wish I could get those alpha tots here, those are cool :)

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.