Saturday, May 2, 2009

Tomato-Free Beef Stew


Made this today in the crock pot and was thrilled with how it turned out. I felt very accomplished! No recipe or anything! :) This is GFCFSF + tomato-free (and other things-free).

Ingredients
1 lb. stew meat (beef)
1/3 cup onions (or more if you'd like)
5 small potatoes
2 carrots
4 handfuls frozen green beans
1 cup Pacific chicken broth
3 Tbsp. tomato-free tomato paste (if you are tomato-free; otherwise tomato paste)
1/3 cup red wine
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. tapioca starch (or arrowroot would work)
salt to taste

Preparation
Cut stew meat into smaller chunks, if needed (I use kitchen scissors for this).
Chop onions.
Peel and chop potatoes.
Peel and slice carrots.
Break green beans in half (if they're the long ones).

Directions
Mix beef, onions, potatoes, carrots, green beans, chicken broth, "tomato" paste, red wine, garlic powder, and salt in crock pot. Cover and set on high for a few hours, till meat is cooked. Then switch it to low or warm for the rest of the time. About 30 minutes before serving, use strainer + a bowl to separate the juices from the crock pot. Whisk in tapioca starch with juices, then pour back into crock pot for the rest of the time.

Service
This served our family of 4 with no leftovers. We thought it was hearty enough to stand alone (although hubbie had a piece of bread with it). We had fresh champagne mangoes for dessert.

Note
I am unclear on whether or not wine is gluten-free. I do know it has sulfites, so if you are sulfite-sensitive, skip the wine.

Another Note
I made this a second time and used 2 cups chicken broth. Still worked, just more soupy than stewy. I also used different spices: garlic powder, cumin, chili powder (a touch), and cinnamon (a touch), plus I added a jar of sweet potato baby food. (why?! because I had some, that's why!) hahaha

1 comment:

~M said...

Wine is gluten-free but eggs are often used in the manufacturing process (I think just egg whites), so if you are sensitive, look for a vegan wine, like Frey.

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.