Friday, November 20, 2009

Turkish Tomato Rice ("Domatesli Pilav")


If you and/or your kids like rice, but the plain ol' white stuff is getting boring, try this. It's easy to make, although there is some stirring involved, so grab some wine and some music and stir, stir, stir! (Recipe from "The Art of Turkish Cooking" by Neset Eren.)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
Salt to taste
4 medium tomatoes, cubed/chopped
6 Tbsp. butter (I used GFCFSF Earth Balance)
2 1/2 cups beef or chicken broth (Pacific is GF, or make your own!)
Pepper to taste (I did not use)

Directions
Place rice in a bowl. Add 1 tsp. salt and cover with hot water. Stir and allow to cool. Once it's cool, drain and set aside.

Cook tomatoes in butter over medium heat in a heavy saucepan. Stir constantly until it forms a paste, about 30 minutes. Add the broth, salt, and pepper, and boil for 2 minutes. Add the rice while the broth is still boiling. Stir it just once, cover it and cook on high heat without stirring for 5 minutes. Turn heat down to low, keep covered, and cook until the rice absorbs the broth (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat. With a slotted spoon, remove any tomato peels.

Remove cover, place a cloth napkin over the saucepan, and then replace the cover. Leave it covered like this for 40 minutes on top of your stove.

Serve
Transfer the rice gently to a serving dish with a spoon.

3 comments:

Hartley said...

Hi,

This is a great recipe! I do a similar GFCF rice for my boys in our rice maker (cheating, I know). We do the 1 cup of rice, I can of chicken broth and 1 can of stewed petite diced tomatoes. Add some seasoning (my boys like spicy food, it is partially due to their sensory issues), chili powder and cumin, and turn it on!

Really tasty!

Thank you for sharing,
Hartley
hartleysboys.blogspot.com

Vrush said...

That's a great recipe. We switched to GFCFSF diet last month for our PDD/NOS son and it is good to see a lot of great GFCF recipes on Internet. I have also started my own blog inspired from Indian ingredients and added a few recipes. Please check out and and feel free to give feedback!

Thanks,
Vrush
http://vrush-sami.blogspot.com

Lexie said...

Hello! Can't believe I have not run across your blog yet. Love it! I will be sure to start following ya!

-Lexie

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.