Monday, October 26, 2009

GFCF Dinosaur Kale with Ground Beef and Rice


I have been trying to get my son (4 yrs) to eat more veggies, especially the green ones. As I was perusing the lovely veggies at Whole Foods, I spotted something called "Dinosaur Kale." Now, I had heard of kale and knew that it was supposed to be healthy, but I had never bought it before, or cooked with it. But with a name like "Dinosaur" I knew I had to try it. You see, my son is obsessed with dinosaurs, so maybe he would eat this stuff???

I decided to make this similar to the way I make our Turkish spinach and ground beef dish. So here's what I did:

Ingredients
1/2 bunch of dinosaur kale, washed & cut cross-wise
1/4 lb ground beef (other meats would work too)
2 soup-spoon-fulls of tomato-free tomato paste (if you are tomato-free, otherwise you can use tomato paste)
Salt, garlic, whatever spices you like (I think the salt is important)
Olive oil
----------
Separate: Rice, cooked with broth instead of water, if possible

Directions
Coat bottom of pot with olive oil and brown the ground beef. Add tomato-free tomato paste (or tomato paste) and spices. Add a little water to keep things from burning. Now add in your dinosaur kale, and add enough water to keep things from burning but not really enough to make a soup. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until the kale has "wilted" and the flavors have mixed. Serve on top of some rice.

Note
I wasn't sure if they'd like this, so I didn't make too much. Both kids ate it; my daughter (7) liked it more than my son. It made enough for a few bowls-worth. I believe this is a meal in itself, since it has veggies and meat and a carb, but it would also work as a side-dish as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That kale looks delicious!!

Lisa L. said...

Thank you. I tried it and loved it. I know kale is good for me and wanted to add it to my diet. I have dropped all grains so I skipped the rice! It was delicious.

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.