Monday, September 1, 2008

GFCFSF Mashed Potatoes and Hot Dogs

 

 

 

My daughter's favorite meal (at least this week) is mashed potatoes with hot dogs.

I've posted about my mashed potatoes before (click HERE). But my last post included canola mayonnaise, which I don't use anymore because it has egg in it, and we have since become egg-free due to my daughter's IgE test.

So I just wanted to do a little update post and let all you egg-free'ers know that these mashed potatoes can be made egg-free.

Ingredients
About 4-5 russet potatoes (or other potatoes work too)
1 head of cauliflower
Some milk sub (I use Manitoba Harvest hempmilk, but any milk sub would work)
A drizzle or two of oil (I use coconut oil, but any would work, or you could skip this too)
Some GF chicken broth or veggie broth (also optional; I use Pacific brand)
Lots of salt
Some minced garlic

Directions
Peel potatoes. Core the cauliflower (I do this by banging it core-down really hard on the counter). You can cut the potatoes smaller if you want but it's not necessary. Put everything into a big pot of water and boil. Keep boiling until the potatoes are really soft and easy to cut into with a fork. Strain. Mash with a potato masher and/or mix with a hand mixer. Add your other ingredients to taste.

Hot Dogs . . .
For the hot dogs, I use Applegate Farms "The Great American Hot Dog." I slice them a bit with a knife to vent, then I cook in the microwave for a couple of minutes. (Yes, I use a microwave, don't kill me.) Slice them up and mix them in with the potatoes.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

~M said...

I like the way you re-organized your posts (ingredients, issues, etc.)!

Have you ever tried Wellshire Farms hot dogs? They are gf (and I think GFCFSF). The beef ones are fabulous, and I bought some chicken ones too.

Also, I recently found and really like coconut butter (different from coconut oil since it includes the entire coconut). Artisana Organic Raw Coconut Butter is the exact name. It's buttery, with a mild coconut flavor, and I think would be good in mashed potatoes. I've personally been spreading the stuff on rice cakes with a dab of creamed honey and celtic sea salt...yum!

Looking for More . . .?

I only have a few posts on the page. To find more, click "Older Posts" above this message. You can also find other posts by using the labels/categories list on the right-hand side of the page, or by using the archives menu. I've got more than 130 posts on this blog, so sit back and make yourself at home!
Gluten-Free Foods

COPYRIGHT. All words and images on "Tori's GFCF Blog" (unless otherwise credited) are (c) 2007-2009 Tori's GFCF Blog (http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com).
DISCLAIMER. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has been implementing the GFCF diet since October 2007 (and soy-free about 5 weeks thereafter). Please do not rely upon my blog as your sole source of information or advice. I only offer my personal experiences for your consideration and can not be held responsible for any adverse reaction or experience you or your child may have should you choose to try something I have tried. Remember that every child is unique, and what works for mine may not work for yours.